Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bunnies gone...wild?

As an avid reader of Craigslist, I usually touch on a multitude of different categories during the course of the day. I read rideshare (to find out where other people are going, and see if that's somewhere I would like to go, too). Sometimes I chech out the rants and raves (or post my own rants). I look through apartments and roomates (because even though I'm happy with my current living situation, you never know when circumstances may change and I'll be forced to move). I like to check out the free stuff, furniture, and household items, just to see what kind of stuff is out there. And I like to read the lost and found (because I never know when I might have lost something and just haven't realized it yet!).

On reading the lost and found today, there was not just one listing for a found bunny--but two. TWO found bunnies listed today. What is wrong with the world when poor, defenseless little bunnies are thrust so cruelly into the streets, far away from their beds of shredded cedar, and in some cases, pristine litter boxes? How could someone throw out something so cute and cuddly? Did your bunny go on a wild rottweiler-esque spree, maiming carrots and toes? Or perhaps the wife wouldn't let you blame the noxious odors on the tiny fluffball anymore, and you realized that it was indeed time to upgrade to a dog?

Pet bunnies, just like dogs and cats, are domesticated for home and cage living. As much as you might think it's 'humane' to release this animal to nature (or the mean streets of Richmond), remember that carrots do not grow from asphalt....and that the bunny is not rejoicing at their new found freedom.

If you discover yourself in a pet situation that you cannot handle any longer, at least have the courtesy to take the animal to the local humane shelter. There, they will receive food and care, and possibly a new home. I'm not sure if bunnies have rescue organizations like greyhounds
or turtles but it's worth a shot.

Besides, how could you want to hurt this? I almost want to go out and get my own bunny.


4 Comments:

  • At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are, in fact, bunnie rescue groups and they're very active. Check the internet and around your area, there probably are some. Like greyhound and turtle rescues, they are dedicated and wonderful folks. I've dealt with some in PA and CT.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    Awh :(

    I just read in my local newspaper yesterday:

    FOUND: German Shepherd Dog, shot dead and dumped along ___name of road___. You could have brought it to a shelter.

    ---- So sad.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want a bunny!!!!! KWAI!!!!!

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is one rather pissed off looking bunny. He's saying "I'm cute, damnit. Pay attention to ME!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home