Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, September 01, 2005

I am selfish...

and I'm unsure of how to change it.

I guess it's the typical selfish-American syndrom--horrific disaster befalls some segment of the population, and immediately, the disaster becomes secondary to the impact that it will have on the rest of the country.

My biggest concern is that gas prices jumped from $2.49 to $3.19 in two days. How can I live? How can I survive paying 70 cents more per gallon than previously? In the grand scheme of things, 70 cents a gallon equates to about $9.00 a tank for my vehicle. If I fill up my tank once a week, this only breaks down to $18.00 a paycheck, or $36.00 a month. Ok, that IS alot of money, especially when I don't make alot, but it's not the end of the world. I just have to stop spending on other stuff. (It's a good thing I already like peanut butter, or else I'd probably have some issues adjusting.)

Yes, I know that hundreds, if not thousands of people are dead in Louisana and Mississippi. Yes, I know that they have no homes, no food, no water, and nowhere to go. Yes, I know that people are roaming the flooded streets, armed with guns, and firing at will. But Louisana and Mississippi are so far away from Virginia, and Virginia is where I am.

I am in a self imposed state of oblivion. Oblivion is ignorance, and ignorance is bliss.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    Ruthie - don't be hard on yourself. This is another way of coping with it - to not let it hit close to home...

    And it isn't selfish to worry about gas prices. Granted, we're blessed compared to others, and you know that, but you still have to survive. We are having trouble affording gas too. My husband works an hour away from home. This is really cutting into our already struggling budget.

    Somehow, we'll all make it through, I pray.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pretty soon lots of people won't be making it to work b/c they won't be able to afford it. Ironic isn't it!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm selfish too, but not in the same way. I'm selfish by thinking about myself all the time instead of other people. What a louse. I'm like everyone I hate. I suppose it's OK if I don't get involved in anyone else's life, but a get a bit lonely sometimes. See, here I am, on someone else's blog, talking about ME! Don't worry about yourself, I bet you are kind and generous even if you worry about the gas. I don't care about the gas, but I'm of no use to anyone.

    luv, Brent Cross

     

Post a Comment

<< Home