Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, November 11, 2005

Ok, so it's the weekend...

and I look forward to not having plans in place. I rarely have plans on weekends anymore. A year ago, this bothered me. Six months ago, this still bothered me. Lately, I have come to appreciate the two days of the week that are mine, and mine alone.

Five days of my week are controlled by "the man". My days are regulated by a clock, and the subsequent paycheck that results from my time spent in a cubicle. I breathe recirculated air, and suffer through temperature changes instituted by the thermostat nazi. I watch the world, or at least the parking lot, from my window for eight hours a day. I answer a constantly ringing phone, and reply to never ending emails.

On Saturdays, I look forward to sleeping past the six am alarm. I relish in the ability to laze away some of the day in slumbering bliss. When I do decide to drag myself from my toasty cocoon, I watch cartoons and eat Lucky Charms, and for a brief moment, I return to my childhood. Later, I force myself to have an intense workout until my muscles are fatigued and I'm drenched in sweat. And later after that, after I've taken a long, hot shower, I venture out for a drive in the waning sunlight, maybe to TJ Maxx to look at purses, or perhaps the Dollar Tree where I score new hardback books for cheap.

On Sundays, I do all the errands that I tell myself I should do on Saturday--laundry, dishes, vacuuming. By 10 am, I am done, and spend the rest of my day watching movies on tv, reading whatever books I have left unread, and almost wishing I had somewhere to be. Almost. Or at least wishing that I could find a movie on television that I haven't seen 27 times previously.

To an observer, my weekends seem extremely quiet and mundane, and in truth, they are. Compared to my life BR (Before Richmond), I have become a social hermit. Where once I spent weekends running myself ragged, and occupying every single minute of the 48 hour period, I now start the new week relatively rested and refreshed. I'm not necessarily ready to return to the office, per se, but I do look forward to removing myself from my self-imposed prison, and the return to the world of the living, breathing, and grossly underpaid.

So, here's a toast to me.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Aisha said…

    Well written! cheers :)

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    Lucky Charms and cartoons. LOL... I indulged this weekend and bought Honey Smacks instead of Quaker Oatmeal Squares. I love kid's cereal :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home