Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

a delimma...

Hypothetically speaking, if you encountered the following situation in your own life, how would you react?

Imagine you are a single girl, living in a city where you have made only two friends (both work related), who are also relatively new to the same city, and also only have two friends (one of which is yourself). One of these friends is your supervisor, and the other works for your company in a different location. You usually only see these friends at work and for the occassional weekend movie.

One day, while you are at work, both your department manager, as well as your supervisor (who happens to be your friend) are absent from the office, leaving you in charge of the department for the day. On that same day, your other friend, who you were meeting for a lunch at a mutually agreeable location is in a car accident, and taken to the hospital. A nurse from the hospital calls you at work, and informs you that your friend has been in said accident, is currently undergoing numerous xrays and tests, and would really like it if you could be with her. You find out that the hospital has been unable to reach her husband or her childrens' babysitter.

What do you do? Do you leave work, even though you are in charge of the department, in order to be with friend who is facing this situation? Or do you maintain your professionalism, say that you are too busy to come to the hospital, and leave your friend alone in a strange hospital?

For those of you who know me, the decision I made is obvious. Unfortunately, my supervisor disagreed with the decision (even though the friend I left to be with is also her friend).

Was I wrong to go to a friend, and stay with her during the afternoon while she was being taken to xray, and CAT scans, and then driving her home?

I'm curious what the public opinion is on this question.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    I would have done the same thing. It's too bad your supervisor didn't agree. I hope you didn't get into too much trouble.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Aisha said…

    came from tee's site too...
    You did the right thing. No black and white here.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Mandi said…

    Jeez. I hopefully would have done the same thing. I like to think that morally I am a good friend. I get suckered into crap and am made to feel bad about stuff by work people too often when I'm there. Jerks. I'm glad I'm on mat leave.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home