Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Why I love my job (sometimes)...

I know I sometimes complain about the boredom and monotony that comes with being saddled with an office job, but sometimes it's a great thing. Here are my top two reasons why selling out to corporate America isn't always a bad thing.

2. Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance provided with payment of small pre-tax payroll deductions. Insurance is NOT cheap, and the company absorbs massive amounts of the cost associated with providing these benefits to employees. For this, I am thankful. I may not make alot of money, BUT I have terrific health and dental insurance with reasonable co-pays, prescription coverage, vision discounts for my contacts, and the ability to have an accident and go to the emergency room without the fear of being saddled with thousands of dollars in medical bills. Oh, and those pre-tax deductions also reduce your taxable earnings at the end of the year--giving me a small tax break, too.

1. Paid Time Off ROCKS! Every year I get 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid sick days, and 9 paid holidays off from the cubicle that is my life. The best part is, if I don't use my sick time by the end of the year, it's paid out to me. Sure, in the grand scheme of things, it pales in comparison to the 3 months of unabashed freedom alloted to college students and school teachers. But in my college days when I worked retail, if I didn't work on that day, I didn't get paid.

Since I am currently being paid to do nothing--I'm off to do more of that now. Hope that you all have a terrific Turkey Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home