Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Thoughts of my own mortality...

I used to know a guy named Phillip. Even though we weren't friends, we did go to high school together. We both played trumpet in the band. I'm sure we were part of some of the same clubs in school--maybe SADD or Foreign Language, since those are the clubs practically everyone was in. It's possible that I shared other classes with him, but it was too long ago to remember.

Although I haven't seen this guy since I graduated quite a few years ago, I always knew where he was. In my hometown, he was involved with the public. He was active in the Fire Department, and worked for the Police Department. For a while, I think he was a town cop. He lived next door to another friend of mine, which is how I tended to know so much. Two years ago, he took a new job working for the same company as my dad. In fact, he worked with my dad, and was well liked there, too.

On Sunday, Phillip died. He was 28. In one of those freakish accidents that happen, his life was ended abruptly. And though I did not know him, but only knew of him, his loss is felt. For his parents, brother, sister-in-law, and niece and nephew, and all of his friends and family, I feel sorrow that they are facing a Christmas funeral.

Unlike most people, I am not afraid of my own death. I anticipate that when my life is to end, it is because some Higher Power has deemed it so. My only fear of death has to be how those who know me, especially my parents, would be impacted by this. Maybe Phillip thought the same way about his own life, because it's those who we leave behind that are faced with dealing with the void we leave.

During this holiday season, please tell the people in your life that you love them, and thank God for the time that we are given with them. Pray for those that are facing loss. And have a very Merry Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanza/insert holiday name here.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've had several experiences like this. Several of my elementary classmates have since passed on, some via natural causes, and others from accidents (one of them from trying to steal a paddle boat, and another from a snowmobile accident). It's hard to think that people you once played with on the playground are now no longer among the living. One of the most striking instances of mortality for me, though, was a neighbor of ours when I lived with my parents. One day I saw her cutting her lawn with a push mower. Later that day she was involved in a fatal car crash at a turn I've made many many times in my life. I didn't know her name, but it struck me that earlier in the day I'm sure the furthest thing from her mind was getting killed in a car accident.

    Completely agree: tell the people you love that you love them, and live each day as though it were your last. One day you'll be right.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    Well spoken, Ruthie. I've had several people I "knew" from school die already in car accidents, etc. It is very sad, and even if someone doesn't die NEAR Christmas time - there is always that first year without them. How difficult. My grandma is going through her first holiday without her mother who passed away a few monthes ago. (My great grandmother). I wish I could comfort her. The best I can do is let her know I love her and I'm there for her.

    I also worry what family will do without me - especially the children. We just have to accept that we're taken when we are and there isn't too much we can do about it.

    My prayers are with people all around the world feeling despair over loved ones who have passed on.

    Merry Christmas to you, Ruthie. {HUGS}

     

Post a Comment

<< Home