Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I "borrowed" this from Aisha...

And it was actually pretty theraputic. I'd be interested in seeing what some of my friends have to say for the same answers. If you decide to post, let me know so I can read you.

25 years ago: I was 4, and was happy and secure. I was also in my second year of pre-school at the Catholic Church, and thought that Father Tom was this elusive foreign giant with his black outfits and weird shirt collar. I had a pet chicken named Blackie that I carried around under my arm, wore bibs emblazoned with Hee Haw, and was never without a pair of cowgirl boots. I loved riding the tractor with my PawPaw, and was afraid of the big red bull named Curly.

20 years ago: I was 9. I played Little League baseball, was in the Glee club, played trumpet in the school band, and began the transformation into shy and overweight.

15 Years ago: I was 14, and in my freshman year of high school. I was in band, played softball, struggled with Algebra, and my great-aunt had a stroke right before Christmas. The next two years were spent helping my parents to care for her, along with dealing with the angst of normal teenage life. Life sucked, and I hated everything—including myself.

10 Years ago: I was 19, and was almost done with my Associates Degree. I came out of my high school shell, and became an awesome student. I worked as a tutor, and generally had a lot of fun with my two friends, Chris and Lisa. I was also clueless about who I was, or what I wanted out of life. This is also the year I discovered the Internet, and realized there was a WHOLE WORLD outside of the tiny area I lived in. Both of my grandparents died, and I began making plans to leave.

5 years ago: I was 24, and had been out of University for about 2 years. I was living in Michigan, visited my parents 2-3 times a year, had a rather kewl apartment, and was in my first full time job. Life was pretty good—I had great friends I met in college, a little bit of money, and independence. I had reinvented myself, and was pretty happy with the results.

3 years ago: I was 26, have moved two more times, and was living in Belleville. I liked it there, after the initial adjustment. I was losing weight by going to the gym A LOT. I was working on an MBA, and excited about being in JoDee and Craigs’ wedding. I was also laid off from my job of three years. Six months later (still unemployed), the depression started setting in.

1 year ago: I was 28, and had been living in Virginia for about 6 months. I had a job, but no money, and no one to go anywhere with. I knew how to get from work to my apartment and back. I wasn’t planning to be here very long, so I never unpacked from the move, preferring to live out of boxes to eliminate packing in what I thought was the very near future.

This year: I turned 29. I hung curtains in my apartment, and I bought a rug. I put up pictures on the wall, and began to accept that no wonderful magic job offer would appear and sweep me away from Virginia and put me back in the lap of my friends. I joined some social events, and am making an effort to find a niche here. I let go of the anger and hatred, and began to embrace the good things about living in Richmond. I might not belong here, but at least I can almost find my way around now.

Yesterday: I worked late. I ate healthy. I spent $40.00 at Target, and watched “How Do I Look” when I got home, followed by Full House, Fresh Prince, and Roseanne. I slept.

Today: I got up and came to work. I sat in traffic for about 10 minutes at a stoplight (this is Richmond rush-hour). I’ve solved problems, surfed some Internet, drank a CF Diet Coke, and composed this posting. I don’t know what else yet, as I still have quite a few hours to go. I'm supossed to meet with the book club tonight, and there will be sushi involved.

Tomorrow: I’ll be at work (small scheme). Tomorrow (grand scheme), it’s too soon to tell. I’ll let you know when I find out myself. Hopefully it includes travel (to Europe *fingers crossed*), a highly satisfying career path, and love. We’ll see…:-)

4 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Aisha said…

    awesome! It *is* therepeutic I agree. Glad to know more about you.

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    Thanks for the glimpse into your history :) ... I like "this year" the best. Love ya :)

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger lara =) said…

    as you may have deduced by now, i'm a sucker for filling things out... i enjoyed reading yours, now you can read my abbreviated life story too. :P

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger eyes_only4him said…

    hah, that was good..I may have to do this tommorw..

    I see I am one year older than you...

    way to go on the eating healthy, keep it up

     

Post a Comment

<< Home