Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Detroit, representin'!

Tonight, Thomas and I did something we haven't done for weeks---mainly because most of the time we're too tired.

Yes--that something DOES begin with the letter 'S'. And before you say, Dirty Perv---don't worry--we played SCRABBLE. :) Had you going there for a minute, didn't I? Like I would tell you about my sex life.

Anyways, tonight was a monumental occasion, as I broke my all time SCRABBLE high score of 307 with a new high score of 313. See below the picture of the final game board.

Hence the reason that I used the Detroit shout-out--since the venerable city is often referred to in slang by its historic area code. According to Thomas--who is a fount of information about alot of things--which makes him a formidable opponent with NTN trivia--I learned the following little factoid about WHY Detroit has the 313 area code.

This is quoted word for word from Thomas--so if it's wrong--take it up with him!

"Back when there were rotary phones, the largest cities got the easiest to dial area codes. So, New York, being the largest, was given 212, because it requires the least amount of finger movement. The Los Angeles with 213, then Chicago with 312, and finally Detroit with 313. Of course, now it's obsolete with touch-tones, but it's still interesting to know anyway."

So, now you got a little history lesson, too. :)

2 Comments:

  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Tracy said…

    Hey Ruth! Glad to hear from you :) Cool Scrabble board. You guys have so much fun together. (Yay!) ... Very cool history lesson from Thomas! Just the kind of random stuff I like to know.

    Later chick! KIT!

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    Just wanted to let you know I'm having a blog contest again.

    The prize this time is a kid's prize pack including 3 computer games. (Could give them to a friend's kids?)

    Good luck if you decide to enter!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home