Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Oops, I forgot number 8...

8. Isaac Mizrahi bugs me. The first time I saw the show, I thought, "huh, this is different." The second time, I was kind of like, "huh, isn't this alot like the first show." Now, if I turn on Style Network and he's on (which seems to be ALL THE FREAKING TIME), I click right past it. His flamboyant, overly flaming language and gestures irritate me. At first it was entertaining--now it's just annoying.
***************************

Aisha posed the question of why I liked the movie Hidalgo, as she found it stereotypical of Middle Easterners (I'm assuming culture wise). To be honest, I didn't pay that much attention to the movie in that respect--after all, it was a movie about a horse.

As a young girl (as most young girls), I grew up wanting a horse. I drew horses, I dreamed of horses, and I never owned one. Even though we had a farm, I never had my own horse, but the woman on the next farm over took me on her horse once when I was about 5. It was awesome. From that point on, I begged to go to any summer camp that offered horseback riding as an activity. I was lucky that my parents sent me to camp nearly every summer with either the Girl Scouts or 4-H, so I did get to ride. Of course, I haven't been on the back of a horse since I was probably 11 or so.

Watching the movie was, honestly, all about the horse. It reawakened those long ago feelings of flying willy-nilly accross the plains, wind whipping your hair back, the galloping hooves thudding into your very soul dreams I used to have.

Personally, I thought that the portrayal of the Middle Eastern culture in this movie was much nicer, more beautiful, and rooted in history than what is usually conveyed by the cinema. Of course, this movie is a historical account of one person, and perhaps a bit one-sided, however, I would much rather see the Middle East portrayed as a thing of beauty and history than as the stereotypical image of it today, which is full of war and bombs and death.

Hope this posting doesn't cause offense to anyone!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Aisha said…

    It's interesting how e come into things with different perspectives. I saw the middle eastern stereotypes and my mind remained stuck there. You focused ont he horses and viewed the middle eastern stuff as secondary. I just think its amazing how we all have different perspectives and that can really affect our perspectives of what we see. I mean... thats clearly me being captain obvious.. but still.. it's neat.

    Viddago Mortison (sp?) is a hottie though. Not since Johnny Depp have I just looked at a movie star and said DAYAM

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    I think that was a really beauitful post Ruthie. I haven't seen this movie but had meant to. I had the same love of horses. I got to ride a few times but never the way I wanted. My parents never got me lessons. I still look longingly at horses. They're so beautiful - and I just read a book where the main character also had a passion for horses as a girl.

    ...as for Isaac Mizrahi - BARF! Can't stand him either. I don't understand the whole flamboyent thing. Why can't people just be themselves? It's so fake.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home