Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Letterboxing....

Today, I went letterboxing with Russ, the guy that replied to my CL posting. After we went to Ben Franklin so he could buy a stamp (a totally masculine strawberry), we headed out to Pocahontas State Park, and looked for the Pocahontas letterboxes (5 total). On the way to the park, we got lost, and ended up driving around for about an hour. When we finally did find the park, we had to pay $4.00 to park.

Unfortunately, we didn't really pay attention to the clue before we set out, and after we got started on the trail, we realized that the first box was 1.5 miles down the trail. Please take note that this trail was steep, rocky, littered with tree debris, and seemed closer to 10 miles. We found box number one with little to no problems. Another .75 miles, and we looked for box number 2, which was missing.

After we finished hiking out of the woods (another .25 miles) we began the search for boxes 3,4 and 5, which were located on a different trail. After hiking another mile, we came to the trail path, and it was closed for construction and trespassing was prohibited. So, brilliant me suggested that we go to the END of the trail and hike in backwards in order to locate the clues. This also would have eliminated an extra 1.5 miles of hiking. So, we drove to the end of the trail, but found that they really weren't lying about the construction, as the entire area was barricaded.

We started off in search of 5 boxes, and only one was found. Although it was a bit disappointing to not have completed the clue, it was through no fault of our own. Besides, I got like, 4.5 miles of hiking exercise in, so that now I don't feel guilty about sleeping until 11 this morning and blowing the gym off!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a strawberry? ok.

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    LOL, I think a strawberry is cool.... I'm still trying to figure out what my stamp will be. I came up with a design which has personal meaning to me, but then I found a really cool old bookplate pic that I LOVE, but it's not my own artwork so I don't want to use it.

    I'm totally stressing about whether I'll be able to cut the stamp out properly. :p

    Have you ever made a box to hide yet? That sounds fun, too. I can't wait to get my crap together and get started!

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger ~ruthie said…

    I haven't made a box yet, but I plan to do so shortly. I need to buy the stuff to make a stamp in order to do it. When I do, though, I'll make sure to tell everyone :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home