Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, May 14, 2005

busy saturday...

Wow, I love busy weekends. i feel like so much less of a loser when I have things to do.

Today, I went letterboxing. Yeah, I can tell you're shocked. I went out with a handfull of different boxes to look for, since I was trying to make of for my lack of dedicated exercise this week. I ended up only doing one, since I couldn't seem to find the other two possibilities I wanted to find. I went out to the James River park system and looked for/found the Pony Pasture box. It wasn't too terribly long of a hike--maybe 1.5 miles (i think i need to invest in a pedometer so i'll know how much exercise i'm really getting). It was kind of HOT today, but I still wore my standard letterboxing clothes--jeans, tshirt, hat (to protect me from the sun), and my very new and sensible waterproof hiking shoes. I know it seems weird to have to buy special shoes, but letterboxers in Virginia aren't shy about trekking through 2 miles of marshy land to hide a box, so I'm just being prepared. Anyways, at one point, you have to cross this pipe bridge (ie-big pipe used as an access bridge for maintenance and not actually suggested for public use). It was a little intimidating--but I did it, and didn't fall! :)

After the Pony Pasture box, I though of looking for Reedy Creek, but after wandering around Riverside drive for about an hour, I found out that Reedy Creek is on another section of the road closer to downtown Richmond, so I then went in search of the Forest Hill Park boxes. I got all the way to Forest Hill park, but changed my mind, and went shoe shopping instead. I returned victorious with two new pairs of sandals--a pair of black strappy heels, for in case I ever get asked somewhere nice and need a strappy black heel, and a pair of taupe slide heels to wear to work with some neutral skirts.

Nellie (a girl I work with who moved here from NY City) and I hung out tonight for dinner. She needed a night away from the husband and kids, and I just needed to go anywhere with a friend. I have lived here since the beginning of September, and this is the FIRST Saturday night that I've actually gone out and did something. We went to TGI Fridays, and talked for about 2 hours, and then we drove around for a while before heading to Wallyworld. What is there to do in Richmond? I think I would KILL for a Dave and Busters, or a Snookers to hang out. We couldn't find a pool hall, there aren't any arcades 'cept for Chuck-E-Cheeses, and neither of us know Richmond enough to venture downtown.

When I got home tonight, I walked through the door, and when I turned around to close it, a huge spider was scurrying down the wall. Stupid spiders-- I HATE them! I picked up one of my hiking shoes (yes, now it's up to like, 16 pairs of shoes in front of the door), and tried to kill it. Unfortunately, the grippy treads good for hiking trecharous terrain don't do well killing spiders. The icky thing was jumping all around, hiding in the crevice between the door frame and the point where the carpet is attached under the wall molding. I finally had to use one of the dressy sandals for work to accomplish the task. Right now, the carcass is serving as a warning to other spiders who may see it. My question to you now is, "is it better to see the spider, and have it get away? or to not know it's there at all?".

1 Comments:

  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Tee/Tracy said…

    Better to not know it was there, of course! If I see a bug and it gets away from me I feel itchy the whole day/night.

    Love this: " I got all the way to Forest Hill park, but changed my mind, and went shoe shopping instead"

    ROFL!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home